Wednesday 17 May 2017

I just lost my baby tortoise

More than a decade ago, while taking a walk on the clear green edge if our school compound I came a cross a beautiful baby tortoise. This was my first time to see the beautiful reptile so close. My intuition told me that this is the fortune I was waiting for, I gonna make money either by billing schoolmates to have a glance of it, or selling it to the Meru national museum. I carried the reptile to class and the cooks always supplied me with green vegetables to feed my new presumed cash cow. My teachers were amused to see it but never bothered asking why I had turned the classroom into an orphanage. Two days in sequence the class received boys coming to see the turtle's relative but no one gave a dime...

I felt a bit frustrated that I wasn't to make a penny. My second intuition took lead and I asked my friend Ken Matiri (Gasigi) to accompany me to Meru Museum to sell the reptile to the museum minders. Matiri never failed me, in a span of time I was bargaining with the museum staff on the cost of the tortoise. I had warned Matiri to stay a bit far with the baby tortoise and watch me carefully for a signal on whether we had a deal...the first question that landed on me was "..why do you want to sell to us our animal..even when in the bush it is still ours.." That bombshell hit my like thunder and sent a drip of cold water down my spine...I signalled Matiri that all was not rosy and the next minute we were on a matatu with our baby tortoise in a paper bag on our way back to school..that's how I lost my first attempt in business..had it succeeded I would now be selling rhino horns..maybe just maybe..we took our tortoise back to the classroom, fed it for two days then it was stolen. I hope the museum guys came for it or another nerd cleverer than yours truly is minting money somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lifeless Killer

  You knocked on 31st Dec 2019, and you've since refused to go, We thought you were on transit, you say you came to stay, You've sat...